Monday, January 09, 2006

movies so far in 2006, part one

01/01/2006 -- "King Kong"

Peter Jackson has to be one of the coolest people in the world. I adored "King Kong" and encourage everyone to see it on the big screen while they can. It is meant to be seen on the big screen. It was everything that a movie should be. I laughed, I cried, it was scary (giant bugs are just icky) and I think that the giant ape is a better actor than I am. I know, that might not be saying much, but I am always amused/surprised/saddened when apes either real or CGI'd excel at anything past me. I digress. This movie was "Old Hollywood" to me. It had a sense of glamour to it. The actors were all great. I thought Naomi Watts was especially good. I haven't seen a lot of her work (I haven't seen "Mulholland Drive" or "21 Grams", but she was moving. Kudos to Andy Serkis for bringing Kong to life. I would love to just sit down with him and talk to him. All I can figure is that he must have the MOST expressive face of anyone in the world.

Final Thoughts: A fabulous movie that is a must-see on the big screen.

01-03-2006 -- "The Family Stone"

Question: Why did they market this movie as a comedy?
Frankly, this movie was beyond horribly depressing, and awful for everyone. No one, character-wise was likeable....except Luke Wilson, who did what he does best. That is, be fun and care-free and supportive and fun ("Legally Blonde"). How can you not like that? What was most frustrating for me was how much I wanted to love this movie. The actors are all great! Diane Keaton, Sarah Jessica Parker, Craig T. Nelson, Dermot Mulroney, and Rachel McAdams are all fabulous, and they were all committed to their characters....it was just so depressing! I don't even know that i would have loved this movie if I had gone in thinking it was a family drama, but spilling casserole on oneself does not a comedy make.

Final Thoughts: Rent it if you like the cast....and need to cry.

love,
beth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home