Friday, May 11, 2007

flawed fun

It is hard to write about SPIDER-MAN 3 after writing about the flawless THE LIVES OF OTHERS. However, Richard and I made our way to the IMAX screen on Monday night, and had a grand time watching the not so flawless movie. There is a dance number. You might think I am kidding, but I'm not. There is a dance number, and bangs, and eye-liner, and Peter with a bad attitude. There is a lot going on. Not only do you have Harry (Green Goblin, Jr.), but you now have a man made of sand, and Venom (created with intergalactic black ooze). Plus, there is another girl, and Peter and MJ aren't communicating. What we have here is a big old web of mess. (he he....I said web!)
I didn't hate this movie. The thing is, it seemed to lose the heart of the first two films. It kind of feels like the first two were small independent films, and suddenly, the third one was taken over by a major studio. I guess it's hard to explain.
I really enjoyed Topher Grace, I am a big fan of his, and he does a lot with a relatively thin character. Tobey does his best, but seriously, does he need to cry in every other scene? (A new drinking game proposed by my roommate: drink every time Peter Parker cries. You will be drunk in fifteen minutes.) Thomas Haden Church is barely in the movie, and James Franco seems a little "special" after hitting his head.
Now, the movie is a lot of fun. It just doesn't match the earnest integrity of the first two films.


Final thoughts: It is a fun popcorn, summer movie. Go, but don't expect to be moved....just enjoy the ride, and the dance number.


photo credit: www.movieweb.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home