Wednesday, January 11, 2006

another day, another movie

01/10/2006 -- "Match Point"

Richard and I checked out Woody Allen's "Match Point" last night. It was a very interesting film. I really enjoy some of the actors in the film, and in all honesty, I liked the movie, but not as much as I wanted to. Emily Mortimor (who is also brilliant in "Dear Frankie" - SEE IT NOW!) does a lovely turn, and the adorable Matthew Goode (I admit it, I own his "Chasing Liberty" with Mandy Moore) is hilarious as the lead character's brother-in-law. Jonathan Rhys-Meyer's turn as a tennis instructor who marries up is an interesting character study. His journey is hard to watch, but fascinating none-the-less. The best part of the film for me was the use of opera music throughout. Woody Allen definitely has an interesting vision, and this film definitely tells a compelling story.

Final Thoughts: Worth checking out, especially if you are a Woody Allen fan. Not a must-see on the big screen, but does fill the theatre well.


Random Sidenote: As you all know, I have a slight obsession with Kate Winslet. As it turns out, she was originally cast in this film in the part that Scarlett Johansson plays. Ms. Johansson does a great job with the part....but I can't help but wonder what would have happened if Kate had had the role.

Second random sidenote: Scarlett Johansson is starring in Woody Allen's next film "Scoop" which he is also appearing in. Co-starring with Scarlett is Hugh Jackman. I love this man. Not only was he amazing in the "Oklahoma" revival (I own the movie, watch it often) but he also kicked some booty in the "X-Men" series. (Third one out in May....yee-haw!) Plus, he is amazing on stage. I saw him in "Boy from Oz", and although it was horribly depressing to watch him kiss Jarrod Emmick, he was phenomenal. So, this film should be fab.

Photo credit: www.discoverkate.com
Photo credit: www.jackmanslanding.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home