Monday, January 08, 2007

stunning


I always find it interesting when you see an imperfect film that is absolutely stunning. That is how I feel about DREAMGIRLS. Last week, I headed down to 68th Street AMC, with my shiny new gift card in hand, and took in a matinee of this movie musical. First of all, a star is born in Jennifer Hudson. Truth be told, I figured that she would do a nice job, never living up to the hype that has surrounded her. She is unbelievable. All of her songs, including the show stopper "And I am Telling You" are not only sung perfectly, but are exquisitely acted. A familiar entertainments story, this movie explodes because of Ms. Hudson, and also Eddie Murphy and Anika Noni Rose. Beyonce Knowles did an okay job, she didn't blow me away, seemingly only really letting go in her final song "Listen" at the end of the film. Sadly, Jamie Foxx doesn't make much of an impact, although, he is in a pretty thankless role. Stylistically, there were things about this movie that drove me crazy!! I have never seen the fade-out SO overused in my whole life. Also, I think there could have been some more trimming of the film for it to move at a more steady pace.

Final thoughts: Jennifer Hudson is stunning, and is worth the price of admission alone. If you love musicals, run to the theatre and check it out!!

Photo credit: www.movieweb.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home