Friday, June 15, 2007

perfect

Two weekends ago, after recovering from my parent’s trip, Richard and I headed back to see 110 IN THE SHADE from the front row. It was my favorite musical theatre experience….ever. Audra McDonald is unbelievable in the part. There was one moment in particular that was absolutely stunning. Lizzie’s (Audra) brother Noah finally blows up and tells her father and other brother to stop lying to her by telling her that she is beautiful. He goes on to say that she is plain, and that she will most likely be an old maid. He tries to soften it by telling her that it will be okay, because she will always have a place in the family home with her brothers and father, so she will never truly be alone. During this sequence, Audra just sat there, staring at her brother, and suddenly she had these tears streaming down her face. I was so moved, and she sat there so still, and I swear, you could hear her heart slowly breaking. From this scene, she goes into the end of the first act with a song called “Old Maid”. This song was the single greatest performance I have ever seen. She is crying, and angry, and broken, and yet she doesn’t miss a note in this rangy song. It is, in a word, stunning. I bought the soundtrack that night, and I have been listening to it non-stop, just picturing those moments, and reliving it. That is what I love so much about the live theatre. That moment, that performance, is something that I will share with not only the artist, but with the audience. It is like we have been part of a great secret, and this group of people are the only ones who will ever have it. I mean, other people will see her do the song, but it will always be a little different - never the exact same performance. I love that I can keep that moment with me forever.

The rest of the show was wonderful as well. I thought that the production was even better than the first time, and I fell more in love with the sheriff, and felt that Starbuck (the rainmaker) had grown from the last show. Oh, and Robin, we did indeed get wet in the wet zone. Of course, Richard and I are going back to see the show again from the front row for my birthday. I am thinking this is going to be the best birthday yet!

Final thoughts: If you are in the city, do not miss the chance to see this stunning performance. Oh, and run to the box office and try to get ½ price front row seats!

Photo credit: www.playbill.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home