Saturday, August 12, 2006

stepping up

I have some good news....for me. AMC has a new policy in NYC that is making me super happy. The new policy says that if you see a movie on Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday before 12 noon, then it only costs $6! I can't even tell you how happy that makes me. It was kind of weird to set my alarm to get up and go to a movie this morning, but I will do anything to NOT pay $10.75 for each one. Anyway, today I set my alarm and headed off to see "Step Up" the new dance movie. It was pretty bad, but I actually enjoyed it. Something you should know about me is that I love to dance..and that sadly I am not a very good dancer. So, I ADORE seeing dance movies, and there were some great dancers in this movie. There is one thing that I have to address though. So, the main guy (gorgeous but seemingly empty of soul) breaks into a performing arts school and trashes the stage. He gets caught and is ordered to do community service. So, he shows up on the first day, and the hallways of this performing arts school are full of cliche after cliche of artsy students. My favorite was the three girls walking together and singing in pop music harmony. And let's not forget the two violinists rehearsing in the hallway (frankly I say how rude....get a practice room) and the dancer doing the splits and stretching. Having attended an arts boarding school, and acting school for half days, as well as a music college, I can say that this representation made me laugh out loud. My only other major thought is that I have never seen two friends (soulless wonder and his black basketball playing friend) hug each other so much. They hugged every time they saw each other, and that ended up being more than I hug my mother.

After my $6 matinee, I decided to take in Will Ferrell's new movie "The Ballad of Ricky Bobby". I realize that there is the Talladega Nights or something there, but I am frankly feeling too lazy to look it up...sorry. Anyway, although there were some really funny moments, it was kind of blah for me. I don't know...I was talking to my dad and mom as I was walking up Eighth Avenue towards the Upper West Side, and I think I might be growing up! This kind of freaks me out. No more will I enjoy and/or be drawn to movies meant for the 12 - 24 year old male demographic. What is happening to me? Am I having "the change"? (Sigh) I do have to give kudos to John C. Reilly. He is a great actor, and seemingly approached this film with the same integrity he brought to "Chicago".

Final thoughts: While neither one was brilliant, for $6, I feel like I came out ahead. If you are a dancing fan, you might like "Step Up", and if you are a 12-year old boy, I am sure you will LOVE Ricky Bobby.

photo credit: www.movieweb.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home