Wednesday, November 28, 2007

my so-called broadway star

Last weekend, the one before turkey day festivities, I took myself off to the theatre to check out PYGMALIAN starring Claire Danes. First, I know you're saying to yourself, but there's a strike...how did you see a show? Because this show was produced by a non-profit theatre company, it was unaffected by the strike. So, off I went, treating myself first to a lovely dinner at Pigalle (my part to help the restaurant economy), and then headed down to 42nd street. It was very bizarre to see Claire Danes on-stage...and I couldn't help but recall high school, and the fabulousness that was MY SO-CALLED LIFE, and the dreaminess of Jordan Catalano. Anyway, Ms. Danes does fine work on her Broadway stage debut. Strangely, what works against her is the incredible accomplishment of the rest of the cast. Jefferson Mays is sick and hilarious as the bizarre Henry Higgins. His performance is thrilling to watch, and you can't help but squirm at his awkwardness and at his social faux-pas after faux-pas. Boyd Gaines is wonderful as the kind Cl. Pickering, and Helen Carey is a hilarious and graceful Mrs. Higgins. Although I ended up loving the show, the opening scene didn't quite come together, and with "realistic" lighting made it hard to see anyone's faces on the stage. Fortunately, after this slow first scene, the show picks up, and is quite fabulous. This really was a nice night at the theatre.

Final thoughts: Although Ms. Danes is a movie-star, and fine as Eliza, Jefferson Mays steals the show as the bizarre and funny Henry Higgins.
photo credit: www.playbill.com

1 Comments:

Blogger redbird said...

Pigalle and Pygmalion....oink oink...

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home