Sunday, December 02, 2007

rushing to see august rush

For many-a-months, I have been really looking forward to seeing the film, AUGUST RUSH. I finally made it out to see it yesterday, and I really liked it. Keri Russell (one of my current girl crushes) is so lovely in it, bringing depth and a sad poignancy to what could have become a minor part. She is well matched by Jonathan Rhys Meyers who plays her one-night lover and possible soul mate. This movie is full of things that obsess me. Music, pregnancy, romance...I mean, seriously? I actually could have done without the character of August Rush, and just watched the story of these two star-crossed lovers. Alas, Freddie Highmore plays August Rush, a (slightly creepy and just plain weird) child up for adoption in a children's home who hears the music of his parents everywhere he goes....like in the fields of wind and grass....or cars honking and steam in the streets of NYC. So, he runs away to NYC to try to find the parents he has never met, and instead falls in with Fagin and his band of pickpockets...I mean "the wizard" and his band of parent less street musicians, played by the incredibly miscast Robin Williams. The movie jumps between August's trip to the city, and the memories of the night that Lyla (Russell) and Lewis (Meyers) met and spent a wonderful night together. So, you should know going into this movie, you have to suspend your disbelief further than you ever have before...I am so not kidding. However, you can still see a sweet and romantic movie about love, family, and music. Funny side note: At one point, August ends up going to Juilliard to study...and since I was at the 68th Street Loews, which is across the street from the 66th street Juilliard, there were giddy screams from current students. There is something fun about seeing movies about NYC in NYC.

Final thoughts: A sweet movie...but one you can probably see on NetFlix...unless you love Keri Russell as much as I do.


Photo credit: www.movieweb.com

1 Comments:

Blogger redbird said...

Well, you were much kinder on this film than the NYTimes. Now I kind of want to rent it...in three months.

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home