Thursday, January 19, 2006

"quick.....to my mother's minivan?"

If you can ID what movie that line is from, I applaud you. Welcome to my world. The world of loving terrible movies. It is with great fascination that I study myself, and wonder: How does someone like me, not overly ignorant, perhaps even bright enough to attend a "real" college as my mother says, become someone who has a long-term love affair with terrible movies?

Example One:

"Dude, Where's My Car?" That is where the quote above is from. I remember seeing this movie, and laughing until my stomach hurt. I grew to appreciate ostriches as the mean, aggressive big-a** birds they are, and I endlessly quoted "and, then?" as if it were the answer to life's biggest question. I remember at Eastman dragging my friends to a showing at the cheap theatre, and howling with laughter as pretty much everyone else stared at the screen in a sort of stunned-glazed over silence. I mean, the movie co-stars Jennifer Garner!! I am not ashamed to admit that I own it on VHS.

Example Two:

"The Saint" I don't even know where to start with this movie, other than I love it in all it's trashy glory. I suggest you avoid it if you can't come to terms with the fact that Val Kilmer is cool enough to be a spy, and Elisabeth Shue has found the solution to cold fusion, and carries the answer in her bra written on post-it notes. I think deep down I know that isn't how you carry around the solution to the world's energy crisis...but that doesn't mean the movie isn't fun! "The Saint" was on TBS or TNT last weekend during the 2-4:30am slot. I DVR'd it, and watched it with glee. I believe in you Val!

Example Three:

Anything with Keanu Reeves in it. When did Keanu become the fall guy of terrible acting? I know he has found some favor with his turns in the Matrix films and he was beyond adorable in "Something's Gotta Give". The truth is, I love so many of his other films! What about "Speed"? And who can forget "A Walk in the Clouds" where he plays a WWII soldier who comes home and ends up pretending to be the husband to a pregnant girl at her family's vineyard until he "leaves" her and she can admit she's pregnant but it didn't work out between them? I mean, this is quality stuff! Long live Keanu!

I think in many ways I take pride in the fact that I can take just as much pleasure seeing something like "Good Night, and Good Luck" as I do seeing "The Ringer". Not all movies are Academy award worthy, but that doesn't mean they can't be fabulous in their own way. I guess the lesson is....try to see as many movies as you possibly can!

photo credit: www.impawards.com
photo credit: www.geocities.com
photo credit: www.reeves-dogstar.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home