Monday, August 14, 2006

unsettling thoughts

Am I really this old?

Most days, I can get through the day with nary a care...other than checking E! Online and deciding what "Without a Trace" rerun I should watch. However, several things have happened in the last couple months that have totally blown my mind...and made for some unsettling thoughts.

1) My brother and his wife had a baby. I love my nephew more than movies, and worship the ground his little toes touch. However, my brother as a father? It is just too bizarre. I guess it's just hard to imagine the person who you used to bite, punch, scratch, etc. is in any way emotionally ready to foster another human being. That being said, I have complete faith in his abilities...but he will always just be my stinky brother.
2) I found a full on grey hair. It was there.....in the front. It was short and wiry, and I plucked it faster than you can say "help me, Jebus"! I am not ready to worry about grey hairs...I am ready to worry if it's still appropriate to dye my hair bright pink, or if it would be weird to get another tattoo. I suddenly find myself trotting towards middle age!
3)....and this may be the most disturbing one of all. Today, my best friend from high school, forwarded me a message that she had received from the volunteer putting together our 10-year reunion. (Cut to me with look of abject horror.) I have been out of high school for ten years. And what have I done with my life other than waste my parents money on sending me to music school, and accidentally becoming an event planner?

I suddenly find myself living in Manhattan with a friend, a cat, unmarried, doing a job that I love...going to Broadway shows, more movies that I can count, and meeting fabulous people everywhere I go!! How can this be? Um...wait. So, the truth is I am living in Manhattan (where I wanted to live when I was in high school), working for a theatre company (and loving it), and spending my time seeing Broadway shows and going to movies. I guess I haven't done quite as badly as I thought. Of course, if I find another grey hair, I just might totally lose it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home