Friday, November 10, 2006

a movie I should have loved....

Last Sunday, I set my alarm and made my way to a before-noon showing of THE PRESTIGE at the Loews on 68th street. Going in, I knew I was going to LOVE this movie. It stars Christian Bale (BATMAN BEGINS, LITTLE WOMEN), Hugh Jackman (X-MEN,OKLAHOMA, SCOOP, KATE & LEOPOLD, THE BOY FROM OZ [on Broadway], FLUSHED AWAY [see previous post]), Michael Caine (what hasn't he been in?), and directed by Christopher Nolan (BATMAN BEGINS, MEMENTO). This is an elite cast and elite director. So, I watched the movie, and I just felt kind of "eh" about it. The acting is fine, the story is interesting. I just didn't love it, didn't hate it....and that makes me sad. I am sure that you have gathered from reading the blog that I am PASSIONATE about films. I take such pleasure in going to the theatre and getting lost in the stories. I love that for two hours, I am transported to a different life, a different world, a different experience. I think that is why I am so disappointed. With this caliber of artists involved, the movie promised to be a real trip. So, there I sat munching on popcorn, watching the movie...not being transported. It wasn't as if I was bored...I just wasn't taken away. And with this cast, that seems like a real crime.

Final thoughts: You should check it out...it's not a bad movie. It's just not what I had hoped and thought it might be.

photo credit: www. movieweb.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home