Tuesday, October 31, 2006

quote of the weekend

"It's a goddamn beautiful day....SHUT UP!"

This weekend was amazing. My mother (lover of the Rock) came in on Thursday and stayed through until Monday morning. Much fun was had by all.

We started the trip by attending a voice lesson. My mother had not yet met my voice teacher, one of my favorite people in NYC, so she tagged along, met him, and then suffered through a lesson. It was fun...and she didn't seem too put out by the voice that she has spent literally hundreds of thousands of dollars on. Yeah!

On Friday, we had a very girly day in the city. We started on the Upper West Side, and gradually made our way down to Times Square for a performance of the A CHORUS LINE revival currently playing on Broadway. One of our first activities was getting a manicure. We both sat down, and the woman looking at my hands was absolutely horrified at how my skin looked. She promptly started a huge process of greasing me up and wrapping me in clear plastic wrap. It was not one of my prouder moments. My mother, bless her heart, just sat there and laughed openly. Anyway, the nails do look great, and I am now soft and smooth to the touch. We had dinner at a great place called the Southside Cafe on 47th between Broadway and 8th Ave. It was so yummy with this super crazy garlic bread. (It was probably best that I was sleeping on the floor on the inflatable bed.) A CHORUS LINE was okay. The dancing was phenomenal of course...but the singing was just okay. I have to say I was kind of disappointed...but still enjoyed the show overall.

Saturday morning, we both slept in until ten. It was fabulous. We finally got out of bed and got moving, and headed downtown for lunch. We then walked to our theatre (in a freaking downpour...) and took in GREY GARDENS starring Christine Ebersole. That is where the quote above is from. This show was amazing, different, powerful, and so interesting. It is based on the true story of Edith and Edie Beale, relatives of Jackie Kennedy. They were socialites who eventually turned into infamous recluses. Christine Ebersole is beyond incredible...it is worth going to the show for her performance alone. I loved it! After the show, we walked uptown and met my roommate for dinner at French Roast, this cute little bistro on 85th and Broadway. We noshed on burgers, and then headed home to pumpkin pie and the Ohio State game. (Go Bucks!)

Sunday led us to Bloomingdales where we had the famous frozen yogurt and window shopped. We headed down the East Side, stopping for a movie, DRIVING LESSONS, at the Paris Theatre, a visit to Rockefeller Center to watch the skaters fall, and continued window shopping along the way. It was lovely. The evening was capped by meeting my fabulous Aunt Anne at Becco on restaurant row, and indulging in another incredible Italian meal.

So, my mother is now once again in Ohio (tonight I think she is dodging the trick-or-treaters by having dinner at the mall) and I am back to the regular NYC routine. The roommate and I bought tickets to see MARY POPPINS on Broadway for December 13th...so I am very much looking forward to that. Now, all I can do is count the days until gobble-gobble day when I will make another triumphant return to the native land.

1 Comments:

Blogger NYC TAXI SHOTS said...

i took your mom to the airport

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home