Wednesday, October 18, 2006

what happened?

How does it happen that a great book is written, adored by many, and then turned into the biggest piece of crap movie ever? As you may have noticed, I see a lot of movies. I love them...what can I say? A few weeks ago, I received a package from my best friend from High School containing the book "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood". At first, I thought it was a total joke...considering we had seen the film together, and with no reservations I can say it is the WORST movie I have ever seen. The movie-going experience itself was lovely...I went with said BFF from HS (along with her charming and hilarious boyfriend), plus my BFF from college was there. It was the ultimate night out combining many of my favorite people in the whole wide world, and going to a movie. Anyway, I have started reading the book, and I am enjoying it so much. It is an incredible story about mothers and daughters, and true love, and the devastation of life. I can't put it down. (It is making my lenghthy commute to NJ a total breeze!) What went wrong? How can we go from such an amazing, compelling book to the awful, awful movie? The actors are all good actors. It just kills me. In so many ways, I am glad that I didn't read the book first because I think it would have been so much worse to go into the movie with the book in my head. The truth is, I now remember so little of the film that the book is an entirely new entity.

Right now, there is a film being made of the book "P.S., I Love You". I love this book, and it stars Gerard Butler whom I adore. I am terrified that Ya-Ya syndrome (new term for great book/crap movie) is going to ruin it. Urgh.

*On another note, I did meet someone at my master class who is going to appear in the movie. That totally takes me to two (or three...if he doesn't meet him) degrees from Gerry. That totally makes me giggle like a little girl!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home