Sunday, October 01, 2006

movie redux....

So, I have seen several movies, some of which were very good, one that was okay...and one that starred my fave actress in the whole wide world. Last weekend, the roommate and I went and saw All the King's Men starring Jude Law, Sean Penn, and Kate Winslet. It had gotten pretty universally panned, and pretty much all I can say is that it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. What stuck out to me the most was the accents weren't great across the board, and this was a cast of first-class actors. Also, the film was kind of confusing. I don't want to presume to call myself brilliant...I mean, I do only have a degree in music, but there were definitely points where I just had to sit there and mutter uh...what's happening? Kate was lovely in the few scenes that she was in, and Jude Law did a good job. (I like him, I just wish he didn't disgust me as a person.) Sean Penn was brilliant, and moving. He is just an interesting guy...who is crazy talented.

Final Thoughts: Put it on your NetFlix list and watch it on a rainy Sunday.

The Last Kiss was an interesting flick, that goes to prove that you can think someone is darling, even as they do scummy things. (See Jude Law.) Zach Braff is charming. I love him on SCRUBS, and I thought he did a great job in this movie. The best part though was the awesome previews. They showed both Holiday and Little Children, plus We are Marshall. It was the perfect set.

Final Thoughts: Go with some girlfriends, grab some chocolate and commiserate on how much men really suck.

Helen Mirren is a goddess. I took in The Queen today which is a film that follows Tony Blair and Queen Elizabeth II during the aftermath of Princess Diana's death. It was a vivid and powerful portrait of a monarch trying to find her way in the contemporary world. I also continue to find myself so moved by Princess Di, and the absolutely devastating circumstances of her death. I found tears running down my face as they showed footage of Di and her humanitarian work. An engrossing film that British enthusiasts should definitely check out.

Final Thoughts: Is Ms. Mirren putting her bet in for the Oscar nice and early in the movie season?

Calling all movie lovers! If you are a fan of films, then you MUST see This Film is Not Yet Rated. This documentary takes a look at the ratings system, and who runs this organization. It is compelling, frustrating, and fascinating what the filmmaker uncovers and looks at. I found it most interesting the stigma that heterosexual sex scenes are always less severely rated than homosexual sex scenes. Is our ratings system an openly accepted form of restricting the freedom of speech? Check this movie out...but be aware that it is rated NC-17, and some scenes wouldn't be appropriate for kids. (Is that sentence me buying into the system?)

Final Thoughts: Brilliant film that helps you ask interesting and important questions if you are an artist (or not). If movies are an active part of your life, definitely check this one out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home