Tuesday, January 09, 2007

the pain of love

As I grapple with some big decisions, I decided that I must escape to the cinema today to let my mind focus on someone else's drama for a few hours. I made my way to the Indie theatre and took in the much-anticipated THE PAINTED VEIL. It was a spectacular film....and truthfully not at all what I needed. Edward Norton was, as always, wonderful in this film. With wisdom and simplicity, he took on a new character, and was moving as he did it. I don't really consider myself a Naomi Watts fan. By that, I mean, I don't go out of my way to see all of her films, and have actually not seen 21 GRAMS or MULHOLLAND DRIVE. She was so exquisite in this. Her character marries Mr. Norton's to escape her mother (ha! Don't we all?), and not because she loves him. She finds herself in a torrid affair with Liev Schreiber. Mr. Norton finds out, and they set out to a small Chinese village in the midst of a cholera outbreak. There, in between this epidemic, and angry Chinese Nationalists, they begin a proper courting. The scenery is so gorgeous, and the ravages of the illness so horrible to see. I am a hopeless romantic, and this story spoke to me. It is so well executed and moving.....a true love story with pain, jealousy, and of course romance. With two such accomplished actors, it is an effective look at a realistic connection between two people.

Final thoughts: I have to say....I didn't know exactly what cholera was - um - ew! There is some seriously unpleasant things when the medical crisis is at the forefront of the story. However, if you are a truly hopeless romantic, this story will feed your soul.

Photo credit: www.movieweb.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home