Monday, May 22, 2006

when did i become a crotchety old lady?


It is a sad day when you realize that you relate more to your mother than you do a teenager. I had one of those moments this weekend. I took in two movies this weekend that I would classify as "kids" movies. First, on Friday night, Richard and I took in "Over the Hedge", the new CGI film from Pixar. It was actually pretty funny, and I did enjoy it. I would say check it out...when it comes out on video. However, I was really disturbed that this "PG" rated film used language that I didn't think was at all appropriate. In the opening sequence, a raccoon named RJ tries to steal a bear's food. It all goes terribly wrong...and the bear grabs the raccoon and says that he is going to kill him if he doesn't replace the food. He flat out threatens murder. I just found this a little too much for a film aimed at kids. Yes, I realize that he is a bear, but how does a kid understand and differentiate that a bear is a natural predator and it is in his nature to eat the raccoon, but you don't threaten to kill someone if they steal something from you. It just really bothered me, especially because the theatre was full of younger kids...like 5 to 8 year-olds. Anyway, on Saturday afternoon I took in the wonderful "Akeelah and the Bee". I actually really liked this movie, and loved the story and message it got across. Akeelah is an 11 year-old girl who lives in South LA who finds herself competing in spelling bees. The film includes an incredible supporting cast of Angela Bassett (who has hosted one of our events - see her with my co-worker Robert!) and Laurence Fishburne. My only caveat with this film was the language. Also rated "PG", some of the kids used the word ass. It was just quite startling considering I was sitting next to a little girl who was maybe seven or eight (and she actually covered her eyes during "The Monster House" preview.) I understand that kids use that kind of language, but in a PG film, I didn't expect to hear it. I can't believe that I am such a crotchety old woman!

photo credit: www.movieweb.com

2 Comments:

Blogger Lanii Be Good said...

well...you know I was uncomfortable with the bear, too. He was huge and the colors were very dark..it was too much. Though I think what kids will get from it is the importance of family, not being greedy and putting others before yourself sometimes. After all, he's obviously the bad guy and gets his just desserts and RJ does the right thing in the end. Though what I also found disturbing were the traps the crazy woman set in her yard. Spikes and burning and cages. It was pretty vicious. I turned to my family in surprise at those traps. But I guess it all worked out?...for the kiddies i mean.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Robert German said...

Good god. I had ginger hair then.

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home