Thursday, May 18, 2006

oh dear, my dork flag is showing....


Okay, please don't judge me. As you have probably figured out from reading my blog, I am a total movie slut. I see everything....sometimes even seeing them twice even if they aren't good. I have found a new movie to obsess over, and obsessed I am! It is called "Goal! The Dream Begins". The funny thing about this movie is that it is apparently an international phenomenon with two sequels already in the works. Well, it just opened in the US of A, and I am now a card-carrying groupie. The movie centers on an illegal immigrant named Santiago who lives in LA and loves soccer (football). One day while he is playing, a British man who used to be a soccer/football scout arranges it so if Santiago can get himself to England, he will arrange a tryout for him with this really famous team. (The scout is played by Stephen Dillane who I actually met after a performance of "The Real Thing" on Broadway. He is very cool.) So, against all odds, he finally makes it to England and faces hardship, tragedy, and much dramatics on his quest to become a great footballer. I love this crap! First of all, the actor who plays Santiago is gorgeous...and incredibly charming. Apparently he was a huge Mexican soap star and this is his big movie debut. He is great. Secondly, any movie filled with sweaty athletic men running around is okay by me. (he he) I don't know, it's not the greatest movie ever made, but there was just something about it that really pulled me in. I am not a big soccer/football fan, but I am actually going to go and try to buy a ticket for the New York Red Bulls vs. Columbus Crew (who to root for?!?!) when they play each other here in June.

Final thoughts: This movie is super cheesy, but it was a great sports flick with heart! Leading man is gorgeous, and I thought it was the perfect way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon!

photo credit: www.movieweb.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home