Saturday, April 22, 2006

what i did today in columbus


Ah, the joys of home. Deep down inside...I am not the ultimate NYC party girl that perhaps you all think I am. (Don't make snap judgments because I wear my running shoes all the time...) The truth is that I am a homebody. So, this weekend, here I am with my parents in my childhood home in Columbus, Ohio. So far, in the 36 hours that I have been here, I have gone shopping twice, grocery shopped once, seen a movie, eaten at a French-ish restaurant, and had Bexley Pizza Plus. Bexley Pizza Plus actually deserves a blog all it's own...it is the best pizza I have ever had in my entire life. It is pizza from God. When I am in Ohio for any length of time, I schedule it into the trip, no matter what. They have this one kind....it is called the ultimate. It is three kinds of pepperoni and three kinds of mushroom. Frankly, it is so good that it is ridiculous! It is worth coming to Columbus, Ohio for the pizza alone.

Perhaps I digress a bit though. When I am home, I force my parents to go out and do awful things like see movies or go out to dinner. I am the Slack family social director. So yesterday afternoon, both parents played hooky (he he) and we went and took in "American Dreamz". Let me start by saying that this movie is not for everyone. However, if you think President Bush is kinda dumb, and that people will do anything to get ahead in TV, it is a super-funny movie, and a great way to pass a rainy Friday afternoon. So, here's the scoop: there is a TV show called "American Dreamz"....let's just call it American Idol. There is a girl who wants to win (Mandy Moore), her small-town boyfriend (Chris Klein), the host/producer of the show (Hugh Grant), a President with a southern drawl who might be an idiot (Dennis Quiad), his creepy Southern wife (Marcia Gay Harden), and several other singing contestants. It is sarcastic commentary on everything, and me, the crazy Liberal that I am thought it was totally hilarious. My love for Hugh Grant is endless and ever-flowing...and he makes a great comeback to feature films after his brief hiatus. This movie is nasty, funny, a little too true for comfort, and involves a terrorist who loves show tunes. How can you not totally dig it?

Final thoughts: About 15 minutes in my father leaned over and said "Thank you for making me come and see this." I so know what I am getting him for Christmas 2006!

There are actually two reasons that I am home. Tonight I am off to my friend Becky's wedding. Then tomorrow, I am off to meet my nephew! Oh, and poor you, I totally got a digital camera which means you will now have to suffer through many pictures of Wyatt the boy wonder!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home