Saturday, March 25, 2006

v is for victory!


My roommate and partner-in-crime and I finally returned to our roots last night and went and took in a film. We saw "V for Vendetta". I was intrigued to see what the Wachowski brothers (creators of "the Matrix" trilogy) would come up with next, and he because of his undying passion for Natalie Portman. So, at 5:15pm, I turned off my computer (carefully saving everything first) and walked outside to the sweet smell of weekend freedom. We saw the movie at the Loews on 34th street, my favorite theatre in the city. I guess the first thing to say is that I thought this film was brilliant. The main gist is that there is a terrorist called "V", and he is going to blow up parliament on November 5th. He asks that people march with him there to show the government that they are no longer going to stand for how the government is being run, and how the citizens are treated. The citizens are constantly under surveillance by wire-tap (hmmm), and art/tv/everything is being censored by the FCC...I mean some organization. Also, they are carting people off who are subversive and potential threats and they are being imprisoned and tortured with no court of law (yeah....). A young girl (Portman) is out one night past curfew and some police try to encourage her to play by the rules. Enter the masked avenger to save the day. The movie is complicated, unforgiving, dark, passionate, scary, funny, beautiful, and every other feeling that it can be. I adored this movie, and now, even after 24 hours I am still thinking about it, being scared, challenged, shaking my head at the ridiculousness and likeliness that this is where the world is going. I enjoyed this movie so much, and hope that you will go and check it out. Natalie Portman (I am not her biggest fan...people that petite make me nervous) is incredible. Hugo Weaving proves once again that the Aussies seem to have the best actors. Beware though...this film is not for the feint of heart. There is some hard-core violence and disturbing images. It is worth being uncomfortable though.

Final thought: A government secretly listening to it's citizens? Ridiculous. Run to the theatre and see this brilliant movie.

photo credit: www.movieweb.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home