Wednesday, March 15, 2006

reality tv


I am not one to watch reality television. I have always told people that I don't watch it....but the truth is perhaps slightly different than what I have been telling people. The true statement should be that I don't watch reality competition tv. I don't watch "Survivor" or "American Idol" or "Amazing Race" or any of those others. I do watch...and I am slightly ashamed....reality shows about celebrities. Right now, I am very into "#1 Single" which is a show on E! that chronicles Lisa Loeb as she works on her next album and searches for love. It is such trashy fun. This week, she confronted this actor Michael that she is dating, asking him if he wants to have children right away. They were sitting in a restaurant and there was this horrible, awkward silence as he sat there and digested. In the course of the episode, Lisa explores other ways she might have kids, including visiting a sperm bank and studying adoption.
I feel like this is a decent celebrity show. I am quite ashamed to say that one night I stayed up most of the night watching "The Ashlee Simpson Show". Oh, and I used to watch "Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica" as well. It's horrible. The best I can tell is that it is fun to watch rich, pretty people struggle with day to day life as well. In my mind, I always imagine that I am wealthy and skinny, and that somehow all of my problems go away. But wealthy pseudo-celebrities have problems too....they grapple with things like what dining room set to buy, or where they are seated at a major awards show. Money does not solve problems, in fact it just might create lots more. For instance, they might not be wondering how they will pay rent this month, but their SUV might need a part shipped in from Sweden, and the won't be able to pick up the priceless end table they ordered especially from Italy. I guess the lesson here is I want those problems instead.

photo credit: www.filmworld.com.au

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home