Saturday, March 04, 2006

they're here!


My predictions that is. He he. I digress. Yes my friends, the Oscars have finally arrived. This is the most Holy of days, and tomorrow I will be a true follower of the Oscars. I hope that you too might take some time to watch and enjoy. I love movies....the stories, the experience. I love sitting down with popcorn and sweet nectar of the Gods (coke), the lights dimming, and getting lost in another world and life. Am I a dork? Yes. Am I ashamed of it? Yes. Will I watch the Oscars and keep score? Yes. I ask each of you to find your inner dork, embrace it, and enjoy the Oscars for what they are.....beautiful people in expensive clothes and jewelry.

THE PREDICTIONS
Best Picture
Brokeback mountain, Capote, Crash, Good Night and Good Luck, Munich
Should Win: Munich (I adored this movie! It was brilliant, provocative, painful.)
Will Win: Brokeback Mountain

Actor
Philip Seymour Hoffman, Terrence Howard*, Heath Ledger, Joaquin Phoenix, David Straithairn
Should win: Philip Seymour Hoffman or David Straithairn
Will win: Philip Seymour Hoffman (Unbelievable performance. See it.)

Actress
Judi Dench, Felicity Huffman*, Keira Knightley, Charlize Theron*, Reese Witherspoon
Should win: Keira Knightley (Breathed new life into one of the most well known heriones in the history of literature.)
Will win: Reese Witherspon (She does a great job.)

Supporting Actor
George Clooney, Matt Dillon, Paul Giamatti, Jake Gyllenhaal, William Hurt*
Should win: Jake Gyllenhaal
Will win: Paul Giamatti (Is an amazing actor who should have won last year for "Sideways".)

Supporting Actress
Amy Adams, Catherine Keener, Frances McDormand*, Rachel Weisz, Michelle Williams
Should/Will win: Rachel Weisz (Perfect in the role.)

Director
Brokeback Mountain, Capote, Crash, Good Night and Good Luck, Munich
Should/Will win: Ang Lee, Brokeback Mountain (Although, all nominees are very worthy.

Animated Feature
Howl's Moving Castle, Tim Burton's Corpse Bride, Wallace & Gromit
Should win: Howl's Moving Castle OR Wallace & Gromit
Will win: Wallace and Gromit (I love cheese!)

Writing (Adapted)
Brokeback Mountain, Capote, Constant Gardener, History of Violence*, Munich
Should/Will win: Brokeback mountain (Once again, all of these are worthy)

Writing (Original)
Crash, Good Night and Good Luck, Match Point, The Squid and the Whale, Syriana
Should Win: Good Night and Good Luck OR Syriana
Will Win: Crash

So, sit back and enjoy the Oscars. I know I will (especially with Jon Stewart hosting)! Then, after they are over, we can begin to focus on the overwhelming task at hand....seeing all of the new movies coming out.

*-I did not see the performance.

photo credit: www.oscar.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home