Thursday, February 23, 2006

multiple org....i mean multiple movies

Well friends, it was a holiday weekend in New York, which means that I saw many, many movies. It was beyond fabulous. First, last Friday, my roommate and partner-in-crime and I took in "Eight Below". This movie affected my profoundly. I don't know why. I think most people know that I am a crier....meaning that I cry at everything. Commercials, films, television, even the right radio ad can bring me to tears. So, add into it that I am now a pet owner, who loves her cat with unnatural passion, and I turned into an emotional mess. Paul Walker (fun to look at) plays a character whose name I don't remember, and works in Antarctica as a guide for scientists. So, he takes this guy out, and there ends up being a storm, and then there is an accident, and they have to be airlifted out. Sadly, they have to leave the 8 dogs behind until the next trip...when the bland love interest will return for them the next day. So, the weather turns, and they can't go back for the dogs for six months. It is so sad to watch as the dogs try to survive. Insert a dead orca (add more tears...) and a scary-a** seal, and you have got fun, dog story. I actually really enjoyed it. I liked looking at Paul Walker [sigh], and the dogs are fabulous.

Final thoughts: Check it out, but beware of scary seals!

On Sunday afternoon, after buying 96 cans of cat food on sale for 40 cents on sale, I wandered to the 84th Street Loews and took in "Hoodwinked". It was fun. The story is actually interesting, and the voices are great. I did figure out the mystery, but I have to say, I think I would be worried if I didn't seeing as the average age of the viewer was 7 or so. Anyway, it had some funny moments and even some songs so that was fun. Is it as good as "Finding Nemo" or "The Incredibles"? No, but it can be diverting.

Final thoughts: Fun to watch, but you can make it a Blockbuster night.

On Monday, my friend Ellen and I went and took in this fabulously bizarre British film called "Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story". I don't even know where to start with this movie. It is a movie within a movie, talking about how unadaptable this book is to make into the movie being made. It is basically the who's who of British film..I recognized actor after actor. Plus, it is really funny, and painful, and interesting, and bizarre. Steve Coogan plays Steve Coogan and Tristram Shandy and his father. Confused? Yeah, me too...but the movie was brilliant. I loved the inside look at the movie-making business. It was just a neat behind the scenes peek that was amusing and hilarious.

Final thoughts: This is a must-see for true movie lovers...and who won't crack up at seeing an actor lowered into a prosthetic uterus?

photo credit: www.movieweb.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home