Saturday, January 28, 2006

how i accidentally saw two movies today

Having just retrieved my small popcorn and medium coke, and sitting down to watch "Imagine Me and You" (see thoughts below), I went to turn off my cell phone. However....I had a message! My fabulous friend Gesille had called and asked me to see a movie later that night!! Seeing as we had tried to get together twice earlier in the week, I knew I had to go. So, at 5:15, I headed back to the 68th Street AMC (formerly Loews...but they were bought out!!!!) Gesille and I took in a film called "The Matador". I don't know what I was expecting, but I loved this movie. It was so funny. Pierce Brosnan was genius as an assassin having some sort of existential mid-life crisis. Greg Kinnear also shone as a salesman trying to make a deal and help end his string of bad life. This movie is vulgar....dirty.....and you have to really put it out there to feel for a man who kills people for a living. But you do! That's the amazing part. I felt for Julian (Pierce) and wanted him to win in the end. Kill the bastards! Hope Davis is lovely as the wife of Greg Kinnear's character. She is so good. In every film, she just disappears into the role....I love that. There is something that happens when actors get too big. Think of Tom Cruise. When was the last time you went to one of his movies and didn't think tomcruisetomcruisetomcruise through the whole thing? The same thing with Julia Roberts. Once you achieve a certain level of fame, you are who you are. Hope Davis is a new person in every movie. That's who I would like to be.

Final thoughts: Grab some popcorn, a coke, and go for a wild, hilarious ride. A must-see!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home