Saturday, February 11, 2006

searching for Jesus, the standby painter


As my friends know, when the credits come up, one doesn't make a mad dash for the door. Instead, you wait and watch the credits with bated breath. Then, the moment I live for....who is the standby painter???? I always hope it is someone named Jesus. I don't know why, or how, this obsession originally started. I just don't. However, all these years later I still do it. Every movie...I sit and wait and watch.
The real question is, what happens when I find it? Will I be happy, or somehow disappointed that my life-long quest is over? This is how I see it....it is an unattainable dream. For instance...I think everyone imagines (or maybe just dorks like me) that you will somehow start a torrid affair with a major motion picture star. Then, you go through a horrible break-up. Somehow it gets out, and the press are following you or something. So, then, you go home for your 10-year high school reunion. As you sit there confiding in your best friend, the horrible popular girl from high school embarrasses you in front of the entire school. You stand there horrified until your movie star rushes in to your reunion and begs for you to give him a second chance. Nothing happened with the model or actress that he was photographed with....I consider this scenario also, perhaps, an unattainable dream. (especially since my 10 year reunion is summer 2007!) My point is, just because it seems unlikely that I am going to start a relationship with oh Gerard Butler or Josh Lucas (movie stars du jour....)that doesn't mean I won't dream/think about it, and keep my eyes open as I walk through the city. So, at every movie I see, I watch the credits and just wonder if this time is the time that Jesus will be the stand-by painter. (In case you were wondering, there was no standby painter today at "Something New".) Maybe the moral is that hope is important, and you have to keep the dream alive that today is the day that your quest happens! Or, perhaps more likely, I have residual acceptance issues from high school. Either way, I see a lot of movies, and am willing to give out my phone number to Josh Lucas or Gerard Butler.

photo credit: www.gerardbutler.net

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home