Sunday, March 19, 2006

going barefoot in new york

Once a month I try to attend a Broadway show of some sort while I am habitating here in good ole New York City. This month that show was "Barefoot in the Park". I enjoyed this show for many reasons. First, the actors were all wonderful. Secondly, the man next to me asked me if I was a student. Ah, the days of academia....back when I was a youth, a youth in the city of dreams. Those days are long gone, but it was nice to reminisce with the nice man from Washington State for a moment. Okay, back to the show. Amanda Peet and Patrick Wilson play the two lovers, and they are charming. I am a fan of Amanda Peet's films, including "Syriana", "A Lot Like Love" and "Something's Gotta Give". She was quite fun in this play....so skinny though. You haven't seen thin until you have seen a movie star in person. It is both depressing [sigh] and amazing fun to try to figure out how they keep themselves standing. All I can say is I bet she hasn't had a burrito in a really long time. (Damn Chipotle and their delicious burritos that are reasonably priced!) Patrick Wilson is the new "IT" boy for me. He is a Broadway veteran ("The Full Monty" and "Oklahoma") and is now becoming a force in film. He stars this year with Kate Winslet (my all time favorite actor!) in "Little Children", a film in which they are cheating on their respective spouses with one another. It looks dark and fabulous. Well, let's face it...even if it was total crap, I would so see it because Kate Winslet is in it. She is so good. And, so is he. Together, Mr. Wilson and Ms. Peet are charming, sexy, and good fun. The play is what it is...two opposites trying to make it work. (I did have an epiphany moment when I realized that this play was what the TV show "Dharma and Greg" was based on. I may be slow, but at least I smell bad...wait)[brief pause to feed the cat who was beginning to make this weird moaning/growling sound that was totally creeping me out.] The show also features Jill Clayburgh and Tony Roberts who are both great. All in all, it was a lovely afternoon. I know I am super shallow, but there is something quite fun is seeing movie stars doing good work on the Broadway stage. Adds a little glamour to an otherwise normal Sunday.

photo credit: www.playbill.com
photo credit: www.discoverkate.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home