Wednesday, April 12, 2006

movies and movie stars

Last weekend, making up for lost time, I took in a movie on Friday and Saturday afternoon.

Having worked 11 days in a row, I took a much needed day off last Friday. That happens to be my roomie and partner in crime's day off...so off to the movies we went. We decided to take in "Lucky Number Slevin", and although it was good, I have to say I wasn't totally taken with it. I feel that this will be a huge break out for Josh Hartnett who does a great job. It's funny, I know him as an actor, but sitting here, I struggle to list the things that he's done. He did "Pearl Harbor"....but what else? This is the movie that will definitely break him out of semi-obscurity. He is great. So is Lucy Liu as his love interest. The film is all about mistaken identity. A guy (Hartnett) goes to New York to visit his friend after a disastrous couple of days. When he arrives, he is immediately mugged. He goes to his friend's apartment and two men burst into the apartment to take him to see a crime lord mistaking him for that friend. Chaos ensues with another crime lord...and it has been called "Pulp Fiction"-esque. (Okay....truth: I have never seen "Pulp Fiction" all of the way through. Both times I have watched it I have fallen asleep. I know...and I call myself a movie lover.) If you are into mind-bending, violent movies, then this is for you.

Final thoughts: If you are into that genre, you should totally check it out. If you aren't, don't bother.

On Saturday, it ended up being a little hard to get out of bed, and so I missed the showing of "Friends With Money" that I was going to see. Instead, I took in "Take the Lead". A feel-good movie about ghetto angry detention kids learning to ballroom dancing, I totally enjoyed this movie. Antonio Banderas is charming, and not ugly when he dances. (he he) It was the perfect movie for me: fun, mindless, and dancing. Sometimes, that is all you need.

Final thoughts: If you don't like feel-good, dancing movies...don't go. If you do, grab some popcorn and salsa away!

Bonus: Only in New York do you run into Alec Baldwin taking in a Friday afternoon movie.

photo credit: www.movieweb.com

1 Comments:

Blogger Lanii Be Good said...

WHAT!> Alec Baldwin?? What movie was HE seeing?

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home