Monday, June 05, 2006

and the TONY for best new musical goes to...


..."The Drowsy Chaperone"!! This show was everything a Broadway musical should be. It made me laugh until my sides hurt, and moved me to tears. I could even hum the songs on my way out the door. [sigh] Every once in a while, a show comes along that is different. I mean that in a good way. It is not like anything else that has been produced this year, and it doesn't apologize for it. The actors are amazing. Bob Martin is hysterically funny, sadly moving, and also co-wrote the show. In some ways, I think that makes him a freak!! However, the show is fabulous. It is the story of a depressed man who decides to put on the record of his favorite musical from the 20's, "The Drowsy Chaperone". He guides us through the show and plot, and the production comes to life for him, and for us with a sickeningly talented cast led by the perfect Sutton Foster. For 90 minutes, he tells us why that scene is good, skips through the scenes he hates, and helps us get lost in this world that he adores, and helps him find his way through life. The show is in a word....brilliant. I want to strongly encourage everyone to come and check out this show. Sadly, it is not selling that well, and I would hate for it to close before it's time. Plus, everyone should see the show that is going to win the Tony for best new musical. I am just saying.

Practically Perfect in every way.

photo credit: www.playbill.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home