Tuesday, June 20, 2006

movie redux...


I have lately actually seen quite a few movies including "The Heart of the Game", "The prairie Home Companion" and "Nacho Libre". However, the one that has stuck out in my mind is this little independent movie called "Word Play". "Word Play" is this quirky story basically about the National annual Crossword Puzzle and the Editor of the New York Times Crossword Puzzle Will Shortz who created it. It is easy to say that the people who do and excel at crosswords are geeks. However, they are not only socially awkward people who are fun to watch....they are brilliant socially awkward people with interesting, bizarre, and fun stories to tell. The film talks about the creation and innovation of the puzzle, and then follows a group of people through the competition. Who knew that this cult underground community existed? I have to be honest that I myself might be classified as a geek. And yes, I am rather socially awkward. However, after going out and getting a book of EASY NYT crossword puzzles, I can safely say I am without a doubt....NOT BRILLIANT! I have maybe gotten 12 of the 78 words in the first puzzle. And the ones that I have gotten are all the pop culture "you don't have to be smart to get them" references. It was actually quite disturbing to me. I am shattered in fact. But..I digress. I really want to encourage people to see this movie. I sat there entranced watching people do crossword puzzles...and that within itself is a feat. So, when this flick finally opens in your town, treat yourself to a look at a group of smart people, being smart, and having fun.

Final thoughts: It's fun to laugh at people....and then you realize you're laughing with them as they share their incredible talent and passion. This movie has some of the best "characters" of the year.

photo credit: www.movieweb.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home