Friday, August 25, 2006

back where i started


As I have been constantly looking back at my life (with the imminent arrival of my 10-year high school reunion), something bizarre and interesting has happened. In a strange circle of life moment, I am back where I started, and once again find myself a PK. (preacher's kid) Yes, my father, now a recovering church beaurocrat, is once again preaching to the people as a Pastor at a church. I feel a compulsion to rebel. I mean....being a PK is just kind of weird. One of two things seem to inevitably happen to a PK. One, they become creepy soldiers of Christ, carrying a bible, preaching the Word, and wandering the streets asking people if they have been "saved". Or, they turn into hard-partying sluts, getting tattoos, wearing mini-skirts and cropped tops, dying their hair, piercing their nose...etc. As a kid I found myself somewhere in the middle. I embraced the church, but didn't preach. I got a tattoo, but it is small and out of the way...you would hardly know it was there...and it's a daisy. But how do I cope with this now? I mean, I am not living with or near my parents...so I don't have to drag myself to his church every Sunday sitting there...not doodling on the bulletin. However, the thought of sleeping around in NYC is just scary...and I don't meet new people well. Plus, it would interfere with the new TV season starting, and frankly that is just not an option. Again, I find myself thinking I might just be becoming an adult?! Why do things like always seem to just crash into you....wouldn't a nice little stream of changes be better? How bizarre it is to find yourself in the same circumstances as when you were a child, and yet everything is so different.

photo credit: http://ecylcletours.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home