Monday, April 23, 2007

movie redux

Last weekend, the day before the Nor'Easter, I wandered down to Loews 68th street, and took in the funny, bizarre drama called YEAR OF THE DOG. This movie started, and I laughed, and then it just got weird. Writer/Director Mike White is so talented. He has such a singular voice, and this work has great moments. The one line that killed me (and it is in the trailer) is when Regina King tells Molly Shannon not to give up on love because "even crippled, retarded people get married." The film tells the story of a woman (Shannon) and her pet dog. Their routine is sweet and simple (and alarmingly similar to the life I lead with Mama Cass) until Pencil the dog tragically dies. A mess, this woman tries to move forward without her partner-in-crime, and is eventually asked to become a pet foster mother. Soon, she finds herself finding herself and a cause she can believe in. Peter Sarsgaard plays her love interest, and Shannon is fabulous in this film. I guess when it comes down to it, I didn't love it, and I didn't hate it. It just lost me towards the end. Mike White is known for humorous and provocative work, and this is another to add to this genre. A little weird, but moving and sweet, this movie will appeal to animal lovers. I can't wait to see what Mike White will come up with next!

Final thoughts: If you are looking for an off-beat, smart comedy-drama...this is for you. You could wait and get this off NetFlix though...no problem.


This past Saturday, it was sunny and 70 degrees. So, of course, I wandered to the movies to check out DISTURBIA. Now, truth be told, I am not a "scary-movie" kind of person. However, I am ashamed to say that I think Shia LeBeouf is too cute. (I know...he's like 12...well 20.) There is just something about him that is SO compelling. He was in this golf movie last year that I totally dug...THE GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYED I think...and I am too lazy to look it up on IMdB. Anyway, sentenced to house arrest, LeBeouf spends his days watching the neighbors, and notices that one neighbor is not quite right. He also falls in lust with the other neighbor, and drives his mother (the always fabulous Carrie-Anne Moss) crazy. This movie is better than it has to be....and is a lot of fun. However, I think that chances are slim it will be nominated for any Oscars.


Final thoughts: Don't judge me...LeBeouf is adorable, and if you grab some popcorn and go for a late showing, it might freak you out just a bit.


BONUS: I got our tickets for SPIDERMAN 3 on IMAX. The roomie and I are going on Monday, May 7....I don't care if my geek flag is showing...I can't wait!


photo credit: www.movieweb.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home