Thursday, September 13, 2007

terrible blogger

I have once again become a terrible blogger, letting the four of you who read this terribly down. I apologize. I am still fighting a cold, and it has been crazy at work. I know...there is never a good excuse, but I just wanted to try to defend myself.

THE NANNY DIARIES

On Labor Day, I got to see one of my favorite people (and oldest friends) in the world, and we went for breakfast at Bob Evans (I love bland food so much) and then to see THE NANNY DIARIES for $4 at AMC in Ohio. Well, I didn't hate this movie...but I really didn't love it. The truth is, I liked it more than the book. I wanted so much to love the book, and I didn't. I guess the problem is there was no reason for her to stay in this horrible job...yeah, she loves the kid, but not for a while, and if you were treated so horribly, why would you stick with it? But what about THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA you might ask. If she was her assistant for a year, then she could essentially get any job that she wanted....that is why you stick with that. Anyway, I digress, so let's get back to the movie. Laura Linney is fabulous....Chris Evans is cute and likable, and Scarlett Johansson is fine. It is just a blah movie. It's funny, but not that funny. It's rich, entitled people messing up raising their kid, and in an unhappy marriage which is sad, but you don't care that much because they are horrible people. The nanny lies to her friends and family about who she is and gets treated badly, but she stays there which is dumb. I did laugh and feel sad, but at a 20% level, and truthfully, shouldn't movies make you feel more than that?

Final thoughts: Unless you are a die-hard fan of an actor or the book, maybe rent it from the library.

MARGARET GARNER

New York City Opera is doing a new opera called MARGARET GARNER which my roommate got us free tickets to see. With a fabulous cast, this incredibly sad show is not to miss. The music is well-done, and the direction is okay. However, the cast is fabulous (with the African-American performers way outshining the Caucasian) and I found myself incredibly moved by their performances. The story revolves around a slave-woman and her family, and what she does to escape the life of a slave. If you can, you should check this show out. It has a limited run through September.


MOLIERE

On Sunday, I headed down to the Lincoln Plaza Cinemas and took in the darling French film, MOLIERE. Starring my current French fave, Romain Duris, MOLIERE is an account of MOLIERE's life and how he developed some of the ideas for Tartuffe. Frothy and charming, the cast is first-rate in this comedy and comedy-of-errors. This film doesn't challenge the world, or demand rebellion, or anything like that...but it is funny and sweet, and a bit sad, but lovely.


Final thoughts: Sweet and lovely. Add it to your netflix list, and enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home