Sunday, January 20, 2008

major update

Greetings, reader. I am sorry that I have been a bit incommunicado...suffice it to say that it has been a crazy couple of weeks, and I am finally finding myself with a bit of time to update you all on the goings on. First, I started the new job this week....and I love it! I am with an arts organization, which makes me quite happy in my soul. It is busy, crazy, filled with fabulous, creative people, and I am enjoying trying to keep up with it all. I am looking forward to relaxing into things, the more time that I have, and I hope that they are liking me as much as I am liking them! So, that goes well, and I am feeling confident that I made the right choice in taking on this new opportunity.

The other big thing that's happening right now is that I have auditioned and been cast in a community theatre production of THE MUSIC MAN in Manhattan. We had our first sing-thru on Friday, and there are lots of gorgeous voices involved with the project. Our first "official" rehearsal is tomorrow night, and I am quite excited to get back into the nitty-gritty of learning and show. I have actually never done THE MUSIC MAN, and was reminded at the sing-thru of all of the beautiful music involved with it. I will be doing an ensemble track in the show, and we go up in the beginning of April. This is a triumphant return to the stage for me, after taking a five-year hiatus....the last show I did was in Spring of 2003, a production of OLIVER! done in Columbus, prior to my move to NYC for AMDA. I will definitely spill all of the secrets of learning a show after a five-year break!

I have gotten myself to a couple of shows and movies over the last two weeks which has been great. I revisited ENCHANTED with my aunt, and it was just as funny and sweet the second time around. The roommate and I took in the very violent and well done NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN. This dusty flick, directed by the Coen Brothers, follows a man who takes money from a drug-deal gone wrong, a scene which he comes upon while he is out hunting. The man is pursued both by an assassin (the very creepy Javier Bardem with a Dorothy Hamill bob) and the sheriff (the amazing Tommy Lee Jones!) who oversees the land where the drug-deal went bad. It is a sad, dark, yet moving film, and if you are a fan of Jones, you must, must, must check it out.
Final thoughts: Dark and dusty, this very well-done film will leave you thinking long after the credits have passed.

This morning, I bopped out of bed to go see an early-bird showing of the new rom-com 27 DRESSES. It was a darling little movie. Katherine Heigl proves she is a movie star playing a woman who has been a bridesmaid in 27 weddings. James Marsden, long underused, plays a journalist who decides to write a piece about her for his newspaper. They meet, sparks fly, yada, yada, there are complications, things get messy, but somehow you just know things might work out in the end. Heigl plays a convincing neurotic, that although you can't help but shake your head at what she allows to happen, you can't help but root for her to get it all together and have a happy ending. Marsden is fabulous (as always).

Final thoughts: Exactly what it needs to be...fluffy and sweet.

1 Comments:

Blogger SaucyVixen said...

I saw that No Country movie. And you know what I was thinking afterwards? "Why did I just pay ten bucks for that?" So there. :P

Congrats on the job and the show! That rocks. We should get together in NYC soon; I live so close that's it's ridiculous that I never come to see you.

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home