Sunday, February 03, 2008

chivalry isn't dead...I am so not kidding!

So, I got on the train today, carrying all my fixin's to make Mexican dip to watch the Superbowl, and laid my two bags on the floor to hold on to the bar. We start moving, and the bag with my coca-cola (nectar of the gods!) and chips goes rolling under the seat. The man standing next to me literally gets down on his hands and knees to grab the bag, rescues the food, and then arranges the bags so that the other grocery bag is holding the bandit soda bag in place, and won't roll again. It was so kind, and unecessary for him to do that! It got me thinking how NYC has such a bad rap for being unfriendly and nasty. I honestly don't think that's the case. I think that people visit NYC expecting everyone to be nasty, and so become nasty to protect themselves from the expected nastiness. Are there horrible people in New York whom you secretly wish will be taken away by the unusually large rats that live in the subways? Of course. But overall, I find that the City dwellers do their best to stay out of one another's way...yet are unafraid to go out of there way to help someone out. Will people stop on the street to say hello, and talk of rainbows and kittens? Heck, no. But if you take a spill, expect three or four people to help you to your feet, pick up your stuff, and hail a cap if you need it. I know this isn't a perfect place to live, but every once in a while, I am reminded that it certainly is a great one. Random man on the train who grabbed my groceries today...thank you so much for going out of your way to keep me and my groceries in line.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lanii Be Good said...

Aw! That's a great story, Beth. And I think you're right about NYC. Plus, if you want people waving to you and saying hello for no reason - go to the South. They love that stuff down there. But in the Northeast we are cold, we are busy and you should be too so let's just get where we're going, shall we? That's my feeling. And if you focus on using the street and the subway and bus like they're intended, as transportation means and support and not as opportunities to witness random acts of kindness, then you'll have no problem with everyone else doing the same. You won't even notice.
Miss you!

7:40 PM  
Blogger redbird said...

I hope these were reusable cotton tote bags...say no to plastic bags!

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home