Monday, March 05, 2007

it's all about me!

Friends, this weekend I made it all about me. I did what I wanted, when I wanted to, and said "screw you" to denying myself anything. It was lovely and perfect.

FRIDAY
After work, I walked down to the movie theatre (50 blocks away) basking in the sun, and the fifty degree weather. I headed to the Lincoln Plaza Cinemas on 64th street, this fabulous Indie movie-house that has the BEST popcorn in the city. I took in a sweet French film called AVENUE MONTAIGNE. This darling picture takes place on a street in Paris, where there is a theatre, auction house, concert hall and bistro. One night, there is an event taking place in all three venues, and a young woman is hired on as extra help at the bistro. We meet incredible men and women as this waitress finds her way in Paris. It was funny, sweet, and poignant. J'adore.
After the film, I headed to Le Monde, a restaurant at 113th and Broadway that I found with my mother while she was in town. It is very European, and their desserts look divine. I munched on a potato tart and salad, and read my new book. It was the perfect way to end my Parisian evening in the city.

SATURDAY
Sunny. The new bedroom is incredibly sunny. Awoken by the beams sneaking around my curtains, I got out of bed and started my day earlier than I would have liked. On a whim, I headed downtown and got in line for a student rush ticket of TARZAN on Broadway. I have wanted to see this show for a long time...for $20. I liked it more than I thought I would, and it is a true Disney production....amazing special effects. I thought the first act was much stronger than the second, and sadly, there was an understudy in for one of the main parts who seemed to really be struggling. These actors are incredible athletes as they suspend and repel their way around the stage. Many of the costumes were lovely, especially a butterfly that makes an appearance at the end of the first act. For $20, it was totally worth it.
After the show, I walked uptown and sat across the street from the Metropolitan Opera House and waited for my partner in crime to finish a film audition. We continued walking uptown and had our dinner at current favorite French Roast. We then wandered over to the 84th Street Loews and watched the British film STARTER FOR TEN. A romantic comedy, James McAvoy is charming as our flawed-yet-lovely hero. This film takes place in the 80's, and it was fun to revisit some of the couture of the time, as it were. Sweet, funny, and at times painful, this film seemed to get it right with the awkwardness of not only finding your way at school, but trying to connect with people somehow. Not necessarily one you MUST see on the big screen, it is definitely worth adding it to your Net Flix list.

SUNDAY
Once again, the sun was shining, so I decided to get up and make some eggs. Then, out the door I went for a $6 AMC movie. This morning, it was BREACH starring Chris Cooper, Laura Linney, and Ryan Phillipe. This was a great film. Compelling, dark and fascinating, this film takes a look at the greatest known spy in the history of the US Government and how he was brought down in 2001. Great performances were turned in from all of the leads....Laura Linney is someone that I follow a lot of the time. She does great work, and does not apologize for expecting the audience to be smart. Chris Cooper is fantastic....and disturbing. Plus, Ryan Phillipe is fun to look at, and does a nice job. This is one to see...once again, you can add it to the Net Flix list.
I headed to Macy's next and found some dresses to wear for my friend's wedding. I am actually singing, and now am trying to figure out which one I will wear, and which one I shall return. One dress was $169, and the other was marked down to $22! Sadly, I am leaning towards the one that was $169. Urgh!

So, the weekend was perfect, and now I am back at work starting week seven. I can't believe it has already been that long. Now, it is just four days until next weekend, and another trip to the movies. Actually, Richard and I have tickets to the New York City Opera on Friday night. In all the years I have been here in the city...I have never been.

photo credit: www.movieweb.com and www.playbill.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home