Tuesday, March 13, 2007

another great weekend in the city

I have had yet another lovely weekend in the city.

On Friday, the roommate and I headed out to dinner at a new Mexican place called Blockheads on 50th and 8th. Yummy food, fabulous 80's music, but so loud...we could barely hear one another. I am excited to go back this summer though when they have tons of patio seating outdoors. What fun to do frozen $3.50 margaritas on a hot summer night! Then, off to the New York City Opera's performance of MADAMA BUTTERFLY. This was actually the first time I have been to the NYCO, and we decided to go because it was a special promotion where all seats in the theatre were $25. The cast was good, the costumes beautiful, but the lighting of this show was the true standout. It was such fun to go back and revisit the classical singing roots on a Friday night in the city.


On Saturday, after waiting four hours for the Time Warner guy, I headed down to meet the roommate again for dinner with his friend. After going to try to buy tickets to the new Mira Nair film THE NAMESAKE (they were sold out) we wandered around the East side in search of food. Outside of Bergdorf Goodman we saw none other than Lucy Liu...who is absolutely stunning in person. After an okay dinner (can't remember the name of the place) we tried to get tickets to ALTAR BOYZ (sold out), TARZAN (no student tix), and any movie at the AMC 25 on 42nd Street (everything sold out), we headed home and watched Grey's Anatomy on DVD. It was so nice to be home in the pajamas!


On Sunday, I woke up early and headed down to 34th street to return some stuff to Macy's and to see the fabulous film, ZODIAC. This movie was so great. Thrilling, dark, funny, upsetting, stylistically stunning and ultimately never resolved, this film, based on the still open serial killer case in California is compelling to watch. Jake Gyllenhaal is adorable...I think I love him, as he plays the clean-cut guy who writes the book about the case. (His character is an eagle scout....I love it! For the longest time, I wanted to marry a man who was an eagle scout!) Mark Ruffalo and Robert Downey, Jr. both turn in interesting performances as men tortured by this case. This is a must-see for those who love a good thinking-man's psychological drama. After a quick lunch at Chipotle's, I wandered over to a nearby electronics store and got my first LCD TV! He's 26 inches, and gorgeous!! I couldn't be happier about the whole business! Of course, I didn't really need another incentive to stay home and watch TV...but I got one!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home